Pearl Lagoon

Pearl Lagoon

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Research in the Lagoon

 I just completed my first week stay in  the small  Caribbean  town  of Pearl Lagoon. This week I have been getting acquainted with the community and as well framing my questions and objectives of my independent research. I met with my advisers at the Wildlife Conservation Society this past Monday  which they helped me to  narrow my project themes and provided with   literature so that I could read and use the information to  help formulate my questions.
 On Thursday  I had the opportunity to go turtle egg excavating with my adviser at the Pearl Keys. I was a wonderful experience to witness the efforts that my adviser and her excavating team puts forth into digging out nests and counting and recounting hatched egg shells and unhatch eggs in order to determine the quantity that survive the hatching and the ones that didn't. The excavation also helped them to determine whether the eggs are being poached or not. Most importantly I got to witness the return of a loggerhead turtle back to it's habitat in the sea. It was really exciting to witness this because it was my first time being every close to a sea turtle, second I got to see my adviser execute her work efforts towards the conservation of turtle, and most importantly I witnesses the collaboration between the organization and one of the communities of the Pearl Lagoon Basin.
Yesterday I got to interview three members of the community. Each of them had their own experience with the usage of the resources of the region. Two out the three interviewees had dedicated their lives into fishing while one dedicated his life to farming beans,rice, and coconut. Because I am exploring the theme of sequential exploitation , each of the interviewees are aware that the catch of fish has  been reduced drastically. The all have different opinions in finding solutions for these issues and by hearing these opinions I was able to detect the mean of their opinions and understood that there should be some government involvement with creating alternatives and policies to prevent the exploitation of other reources

1 comment:

  1. Nice =D You are having an experience of a lifetime can't wait to see you so you can tell me all about it =D

    ReplyDelete